Moonrise

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Geek Fest!


Close call today friends.......Lil' Wolfie and I, much to his chagrin, did a mini road trip to watch Bigger Wolfie do a Band Competition. Marching type, that is. Now, Before I get going on making Complete and Total fun of the event and its supporters, let me first qualify:

I am SO proud of Dude. He is "cool"........lucky he took up drums instead of clarinet......oh crap, I'm making fun already....hee hee. Really, his High School Band is "undefeated" in these things so far this year. A wholly talented bunch of youngsters. And the parents? A Darn lot of hard work and dedication to pull these things off. So, heartfelt kudos to the kids and the parents involved.

That being said, Whoa! Two seconds into the stadium, Lil' Wolfie whispers eerily, "I SEE GEEKY PEOPLE........" That, unfortunately set the tone of humor for the hour that we hung out.

And see them, and interact with them, we did. People get so into this! Matching tee shirts, "I Heart Flutes" beanies, necklaces with trombones on them. Grown people wearing feather boas in their Band colors.

Fellow leans over to us and says, "Hey, guys. You might wanna move over to the "other" section. We're kinda partial to Camarillo here."

Holy smokes, we were accosted by a Band Nerd. I was out of my element. USC game wearing my 'Zona colors? Not a problem. Bring it on. But this? The dude was 5'7'', 120 pounds, wearing a powder blue tee shirt with a stylized Drum Major on it. Intimidating.

We beat a cowardly retreat to the "safe" section of the stands. Lil' Wolfie noted that the guy was "spooky". Hey, I wasn't afraid for me. We just moved for the safety of my child. Yeah, that's it.

So, we watched, and thoroughly enjoyed the performance, only cheered in the wrong place twice. Yup, we were resoundingly "shooshed", and made our way to the snack bar. Whew, familiar territory at last. Ate a couple chili dogs, visited with Bigger and his band buddies, and swung over for Lil' Wolfie to say hey to his momma.

Ice daggers!! Not from Shewho won'tbenamed, but the rest of the Geek Squad. What did I do? Why the feeling of animosity? Well, we took our leave and headed back to the truck. As we did so, it struck me.

The bumper stickers told the story. "Bushitler", "Leave Iraq Now!", "Peace through Negotiation"..ets, etc.

Me, not wearing the standard Band Parent gear. I suppose that I "might" have stood out wearing my cammo cargo shorts, USMC-Peace Through Superior Firepower tee, and my Genuine "NCIS Sent me to Kuwait, Those Bastards" cammo Booney hat.

Note to self: Camouflage is wearing whatever it takes to Blend in. I have a few more of these to attend..........hmmmmm,

Anybody know where I can find a "I Heart John Philip Sousa" sweatshirt?
G'nite, have good dreams, be good People.

3 comments:

Rambling Rose said...

Great blog - you're a riot!

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

Sad part is, I've got some great pics that add to the story, but the upload seems to be broken.

Even a great one of the band geek parents working hard. I thought it'd be a good one, checked it out at better resolution, and There in the middle is Shewho won'tbenamed, "scoping me out"! Giggles

Rose said...

Ya crack me up, wollf.