Moonrise

Thursday, November 15, 2007

My visitor.....


What an interesting experience. This was not by any means the first experience I've had with a Raccoon........but was definitely the first time that the lady decided to sit down to visit.

Those of you who know me understand that I have a penchant for the ancient traditions, I enjoy reading and learning of Amerind Legends and Practices. This was an absolutely wonderful experience.

I had gone outside in the front yard to put away my truck and I heard an animal running down my cul-de-sac. I thought it was a small dog that had gotten loose, and knowing that if he wasn't returned home he would become Coyote dinner, I whistled.

It stopped in the shadows across the street and I approached, speaking in soft tones,"Hey buddy...come here..." It emerged from the shadow and approached me, revealing its' unmistakable bandit masked face.

Wollf knows the "Three Rules of Wild Animal Encounters", (no Suburbanite here, Folkes), LEAVE.....THEM....ALONE.

So I backed up. Remembered my camera was in the truck, and detoured to get it.

Miss Raccoon followed.

I deviated course again, not wanting to get stuck by the truck.

Miss Raccoon followed. Chirping. I had a "bit" of a worry that this Raccoon was too friendly....it might be ill, so I headed up to the front sitting area.

Miss Raccoon followed.

I got to the front door, she stopped, and hopped up on the short wall surrounding the sitting area, tilted her head at me curiously, an sat down.

Just sat there, tilting her head occasionally and chirping contentedly. This critter had no fear......and no malicious intent whatsoever. She was just curious.
I anthropomorphized that she was lonely......heh, what a romantic.

I am not afraid whatsoever of wild animals, I'm just cautious, and after a bit, I sat down myself and probably looked as quizzical to her as she did to me. We hung out and visited for close to 20 minutes before she decided to continue her foraging.

She gave me what I considered a farewell chirp, hopped down off the wall and truly sauntered off. Left me with a warm feeling as I thought about what Grandfather would have said.

"A visit from Raccoon, Malsom nqoss, is always telling." She is the creator of masks.
We all wear them. She tells us that our outer self is only an extension of our inner Soul. She represents change, luck and fortune in finding one's "true" desire.

An awakening of one's playful spirit. An acceptance of one's circumstance and a throwing off of sadness. (Hey, ever see a sad Raccoon?)

This is all information that I've read recently. It's an interesting way of looking at where I am right now in my path. My mask has changed. I am told that I am much more joyful as of late, even through the "difficulties".

It's the outer mask reflecting the changes to my Soul.

I shall embrace the visit by Raccoon as a turning point in my Journey. She came by for tea and let me know that I'm moving along the right trail. I hope you're all blessed with such an experience.

Hmmmm....starting to go Wizard.........odd thoughts....

My true desire? Well, I kinda wanna get L.....(REDACTED).....Aw Cripes, I almost forgot my PG13 Rating. I better go get a bowl of ice cream.

I am telling you, People.....it Does Not Get any Better than Haagen Daz' Banana Split ice cream. Well......except of course getting L..(REDACTED). Damm, did it again.

I'll be back later. Gotta go help Lil' Wolfie with his homework. Finally something I know more about than he does....the Sonoran Desert ecosystem. It'll be fun showing how smart I am to a Ten year old. (I'm sure I'll learnas much as I teach...)

Wollf

5 comments:

Rose said...

Great story!

Rambling Rose said...

What a beautiful picture - both of the Raccoon and the experience. What a beautiful Encounter you manifested in your world. Yes, I agree with your grandfather - it is a good indication that things are changing on the inside - which will definitely show be relected in your life on the outside. It sounds like a Delightful experience for a Deserving Wolf.

K T Cat said...

Great story! It made me smile and think of the raccoons I've had visit my house. Beautiful photo, too.

Linda Sue O'Grady said...

Ah.. gosh darn it Wollf. After reading that, you almost have me liking raccoons. Almost, but not quite.

I will not like raccons dear Wollf. No matter how sweet your story, no matter how much it made me smile, No! I will not like them!

Why? Well. My raccoons always come a calling about 3:00 am, chirping with joy at the fruit trees in my backyard and feast on my fruit.

My dear sweet doggie will take issue with their presence and bark and howl and throw himself at the glass door, trying to run them off what he rightly views as his territory.

I need my beauty sleep.

Pooh on raccoons.

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

Thanks for the comments. Yup, the pic came out good. Be a bit before I get a new camera.....NOT! See the new post for details.

Lil' Wolfie and I shall go to Circuit City tomorrow. I can get started again with "almost" the same rig for about a "G".

$$ well spent, it's part of who I am now.

LSog, heh, Doggies, Varmints and glass doors are a bad combination for sensitive noses.

Ouch. "Pooh" on raccoons? I think he'd say,

"Oh Bother!" (you knew that was coming.....)
Wollf