Moonrise

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Coyote Dreams......


After posting last evening, I went for a walk. Full moon, clear skies and a bit of a chill in the air. I had walked out by the end of the "civilised" area of the neighborhood, out where the canyons start and almost into a loping coyote.

I glimpsed him coming before he saw me. Startled, he performed the most amazing acrobatics, jumping high into the air, twisting his body up and around, running hell bent for leather even as his paws hit the ground.

He turned his head once, gave out a hoarse, probably terrified "yip" and disappeared down the ravine to safety. I shook my head, straightened my ball cap, (I s'pose I was a "bit" startled myself), hollered a goodbye to the fellah and headed back home.

I showered, had a glass of blackberry juice, did a short meditation and hit the rack.

I dreamed I was running through the forest, just feeling the wind whip by as I dodged trees and leapt over logs. As I approached a meadow swathed in moonlight, I heard the unmistakable yips and barks of a pack of 'yotes.

They were in a semi circle around one of their own, lying sprawled in the short grass. As I walked toward them, feeling no fear whatsoever, they dispersed, tucking their tails and whimpering as they one by one disappeared back into the forest from whence they'd come.

I was left alone with the last and obviously quite dead, coyote. I bowed my head a moment, turned away, and walked.....the forest was gone, and in front of me stretched a long and beautifully built red stone bridge.

I paused, glanced behind me at the fallen trickster, adjusted my ball cap, and crossed the bridge. All I remember from there is that the views were breathtaking...and the dream faded into the mist.....

I awoke this morning kinda late, being Sunday and all, around 0630 or so, and headed down the hill to have a restaurant style breakfast. No one on the roads, but I had to pull off the side and park.

There he was. The coyote. A coyote, I'm sure not the fellow I had frightened in real life. And sure as Hell not the dead one from the meadow.........

But they surely looked the same, and he was definitely as dead as the Meadow 'Yote.
He'd been hit by a car and there was no life left in him. I got out, pulled my emergency cone out of the truck and placed it next to him, no need adding insult to his death by another careless driver, called animal control and went on my way.

The bacon and eggs were tasteless. The coffee was weak. All I could think about in my solitary breakfast was the "old" stories. I looked 'em up when I got home today.

Coyote
One of the most ancient mythic symbols for
most native American tribes. He is full of magic,
special powers and teachings. He is the master
trickster who tricks himself. We learn from the
lessons that coyote gives us about the mistakes
and/or accomplishments he has made in life


Well, the Trickster, is at the very least "symbolically" dead. The real one definitely is. My hackles are raised a bit, but it's just another one of those Wollfie coincidences. Live coyote, Dead Dream coyote, Dead real coyote.

No big deal....

Besides, there's a red stone bridge that it's about time I crossed.
Good dreams,
Wollf

4 comments:

Rambling Rose said...

Another of those Divine Coincidences that occur more frequently as we begin to operate from our Center. Enjoy the Mystery!

It is when we are in touch with our feminine energies that we are open to receiving these great mysteries. Circles represent wholeness. To me a circle formed by a number of any living creature represents the feminine collective unconscious.

aA said...

i don't know about all that, but Señor Wollf has some powerful writing!

i love dreams, good ones, bad ones, they're all great. i am an ENFP, and talk about easily distracted! but dreams are like that naturally, that's why i like 'em.

and i like your prose, Wollf!

Pogo said...

Hi Wollf,
Allow me to introduce myself. I learned of you through a mutual acquaintance. A hard headed Spartan ex cop who shares his innermost thoughts and musings with me (due to a conjoined biological data base) even though I am a lowly marsupial.
I note that you seem to be engaged in somewhat of a catharsis. You may find some words of assistance and encouragement here. It is a site where the Spartan occasionally posts (even though he is a devout agnostic). Pay special attention to Fran (the curmudgeon emeritus) who is truly a gifted philosopher.
I know you have already heard this from the hard headed Spartan but he has in fact traveled a road similar to yours. You, however have an advantage over him. You seem to still have access to the wolflets. You may find that to be something to be EXTREMELY thankful for.
Best of luck!
Possum who is not roadkill YET

Foxfier said...

Y'know...my family are ranchers (cattle) and we often have folks brag about hunting coyotes-- just to kill them.

I don't understand it.

Unless you have lambs or "free range" birds, they don't do harm, and they clean up a lot of problems....