Moonrise

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What's there to say...........



This is that day. There's a lot to say, and I'm going to say it. I'll be working the draft through out the day, and post this evening. I need to ease into it from a good place.......I'm going to post this in little bits at a time. My eyes get a little misty from the concentration, so check back if you want.......

(Ed Note): Thanks aA for the comment. Maybe I really should edit. My Eldest She-Cub, Heather, left this Mortal coil for grander adventures four years ago today. This is the first I've written of it. Damm me for a vain fool. I've become so comfortable here with you that I feel you already know .....

Wollf is back. This is going to take a bit more effort than I had suspected. My grieving is over, but this particular day......

Heather. Beautiful, grey-green eyed baby, precoscious as hell, walked when she was seven months old. Never stopped talking from the time she learned her first words. A mind that sometimes made me feel that I didn't have a clue.

Taught her to ride horses when she was just three years old, she'd go everywhere I went, I remember she was thrown....well actually she just sort of slid off the side of my horse once, a$$ ove teacup and a little plop, right on her butt.

As I dismounted to comfort her, I watched as she got up, dusted her little bottom off, looked me square in the eye, and asked imperiously with our Southwestern accent, "Where's muh hat?".

Tough, intelligent kid. Hard as a rock on the outside, nothing but mush inside.

She was difficult. Superior intellect, easily bored, she got into "trouble" quite often. I had a ten speed bike that I'd gotten waaay back while in college. I remember precisely the cost...$125.00, because the darned thing was so expensive for back then in the early seventies.

Loved that bike. Kept it clean and shiny and parked in the garage....Heather, alone at the house at age fourteen, got bored....decided that she could probably teach herself how to drive my truck. She executed the joy ride around the neighborhood without incident.

She really sucked at parking. I remember the words I used as I arrived home to find my beloved ten speed mangled and speared through our new washer and dryer at the end of the garage.

"You should learn how to use the brakes first."

Her stepmother did not see any humor in the incident at all........I guess that I did, because although I loved that bike, I loved her more....

She came to live with me full time when she was a freshman in high school. She opted to join the Navy and put off college for another day. I think that school bored her, and the adventure of Military Service was a siren call not to be trifled with.

Stationed at GreatLakes, outside of Chicago, Evanston, I think. She mustered out after four and joined the Police Department. Loved her job, hated her job. Heh, so like her....loved her mom, hated her mom....Wollf....she just loved.

We talked all the time. She shared about anything with me. I miss that. I miss her now when something goofy happens to me, or I pull a stupid stunt, and I reach to pick up the phone to share and......

Not so often any more. I look at her picture on my dresser now and smile, and remember that little cowgirl with the dust on her britches, the grin on her face and the gleam in her eyes.....The world was a better place because she was in it....

I'm back again, and I think I'll close this post and put away the melancholy for another time. My youngest She-cub called, remembering the day.....drove up and kept her Sire company....visited and talked about wonderfully outrageous things.

She'll be eighteen in two days. She is going to get a tattoo.....on her foot....of a Peace sign.....Oh, Lord....I asked if she was going to include the phrase "Through Superior Firepower", and she laughed and said she'd "think" about it.

What's a Sire to do? Well, for starters, I'll take her down to "Memmo's" shop and ensure that the young Lady-Cub is treated with due respect by the "artist"....spell Mongols Gang member. They understand me down there, heh.

Great conversation, more than tattoos, on to Love and Life and Dreams of a young woman and a middle aged Wollf. Seems we have a lot in common....kinda reminds me of someone. And most presciouly, reminded me that Life is for the Living.

Heather was a prescious gift. I miss her, a lot of People miss her. Wollf has other Cubs to tend to. She is Alive and Safe in my heart.

Always and Always.
Thanks for listening.
Love your Cubs with all your might. It's not supposed to happen, but sometimes....

It does. Love you Cowgirl.
Daddy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! G-Man showed me your website, my thoughts are with all of you today. G-Lady

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

G-Lady!! Thanks for stopping by, and thanks so much for the kind words....this is something that needs doing.

Howz the G-Man? Haven't heard in a bit. My e-mail is in the "about me" section.

I miss you guys....road trip to Chi-town....area....this spring. Nothing to hold me back.

Hugs all around to my Fed buddies. Have the Nciswit buy you a drink on me, heh
Wollf

Anonymous said...

Things are good - sorry to hear about your situation on the home front. G-Man is good, working on putting things together again. Happiness lately seems as elusive as world peace, but we're trying! Again, I know this is a difficult day for you all, my thoughts are with you and tomorrow is a new day. Take care of YOU! See you in the Windy City! G-lady.

Rambling Rose said...

She's a beautiful girl, Wollf. My heart goes out to you in your grief. It is hard to lose anybody that we love; but losing a child (even if they are grown) is the hardest loss of all. We invest so much of ourselves, as parents, into trying to keep our children safe from harm.

My cousin was an ambulance driver who got called to the scene of an accident - and there lay his only son - dying.

A couple years later, still not fully recovered from the loss, he said "It just doesn't seem right in the scheme of things. We, the parents, are supposed to die first."

I offered up a prayer today for your little one.

K T Cat said...

I'm so sorry, Wollf. Prayers and thoughts for you and yours.

Foxfier said...

She looks like someone my mom would've loved as a friend. (If you knew my mom, you'd realize how big a complement that is.)

I know you can't ever "get over" something as primal as losing one of your babies...but I hope it doesn't hurt unless you poke it, someday.