Moonrise

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Tombstone....a different sort of place

Just for a bit of fun.....I was "forced" to see a movie today that made me realize in totality, that modern civilisation is doomed. Do not, if you cherish your days as I do, waste your eight dollars upon "Meet the Spartans".

Unless, of course, you happen to have an extremely bright ten to fifteen year old male Cub. Watching them laugh hysterically at the sophomoric antics upon the screen.......absolutely worth the money.

I began to thinking, and decided to share some bits from "Tombstone", one of the finest renditions of the History of the area. Purely because Tombstone will always be my "Hometown", no matter where I go, or what becomes of me. I've always had an attraction to the genteel yet dangerous real character of Doc Holliday.

An original "Charming Ruffian", as Grandmother would have said.

No one, in any of the myriad movies or books captured the persona of the Man as did Val Kilmer in the movie Tombstone. He read and re-read the original book that I have on my dresser and was published just ten years after the "incident" at the O.K. Corral. He spent three weeks in town studying the accents and colloquialisms common to the area. I thought that I would share.

Enjoy this clip of moments from the movie. Join the Cubs and I some October when return as we try every year to the "Town to tough to die". It's called Helldorado Days and it is truly a hoot.

Tombstone hasn't changed much from the days that I played Cowboys and Doc Holliday in it's back alleys. It hasn't changed all that much from the 1880's in it's look or the character of it's Citizens.



And just so's you know,
I am your Huckleberry,

Wollf

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, John Henry Holliday! Definitely one of my favorite "wild west" characters. I might describe him as a little more than a "ruffian", but I never thought he was really a cold-blooded killer as some historians have made him out to be. Gambling is, after all, a dangerous profession. Hot-tempered, righteous, a man with nothing to lose, that "bad boy" all the girls love to love. PLUS, Wyatt Earp was his friend!
Just thinking of Val Kilmer saying the word "huckleberry" is enough to make me laugh out loud.

Foxfier said...

Ever watch Purgatory?