Moonrise

Monday, January 14, 2008

High Fivin'........



A good friend gives Wollf a High Five after the Giants-Dallas game. He's the one wearing the watch......

The Cubs want a dog. I haven't had a Best Four Legged Friend in a number of years. Another of my Jaanuary tragedies. Killian was his name. Air Force,(I didn't hold that against him), veteran.

He was stationed in England, MOS-Bomb Detection. He got out on an MD, or Medical Discharge. Heart murmur, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure.

He faked it.

I don't know how he did it, but somehow I knew. I received him into my home fully grown, fully trained for a most unnecessary task around the Wollf household.....Squirrel Jihadis notwithstanding....and fully healthy.

I had been tipped off by an old comrade that this dog was being discharged, and as he knew that I had both young children and a heart for dogs, he arranged that Killian be remanded to my, (our), custody.

When I first laid eyes on the fellow, I was struck by his good looks. A Golden, as opposed to Yellow Labrador, three years old, wet, sad eyes and a downcast look. I took him from the handler, got him into the truck and drove home, wondering if this poor morose, sickly creature was a good idea.

He sat completely still during the ride, staring out the window. We pulled into the driveway and the Cubs were there. When he saw them, Killian became a different animal. Animated, barking, tail wagging like no tomorrow!!

I opened the door, he vaulted out past me, ran to the kids as they ran to him, bowled over Lil Wolfie, tackled by Bigger, it became Boy-Dog Bedlam. It was magic how they took to each other, wrestling and running and falling over each other....

No sign of the "sickly" dog I had rescued. Never was. A devoted, kind, gentle and rough and tumble rolled into one big goofy beautiful dog. Never been one like him. Never be another. I still miss the wonderful goof and his two legged happy dance, his sneaking, crawling up the stairs each night to sleep with one of the Cubs.

Their Mother would not allow it. Heh. Their Sire downright enabled it. Each morning, as I left, a low whistle, and he'd sneak back down the stairs with me. Our little secret, we males.......she probably never knew. Didn't matter. Boys need Dogs, Dogs need boys, heh.

We had a lot of fun back then. I miss that guy.

So, we're finally getting another dog. I was thinking Welsh Corgi, but was resoundly ridiculed, my very Wollfhood brought into question by a dog person of reknown. Said I should think before I get a dog that people will laugh and point fingers at.

So.....We're getting a Wolf-Hybrid. Looks of the Wolf, long legs, oh heck, you know what I look like by now, and a shepherd personality. Gonna be a female, and we're gonna name her Sabre. You know, like "Parry, thrust?" Heh.

We'll pick her up in April soon afer she's born. Life will be just a little more fulfilled.

Good things are coming, adventures to be had.
It's late and I've got some heavy thinking to do....

Oh, cool picture huh?

Wollf

3 comments:

Rambling Rose said...

Thanks for sharing Killian's story with us - that one had me in tears.

Anonymous said...

Ha! You got some good advice, corgis are funny looking! I laugh everytime I see one, but I try to avoid pointing my finger.

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

Yes, and yes. It's impolite to point. At funny dogs, mismatched clothing, beauty marks.....and yes, my friend has excellent taste in canine companionship.

Thanks for the comments....
Wollf