Moonrise

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Of Wolves and Sheepdogs and Sheep.......

First, a qualification. Someone......and I ADD'ed it out of my memory, so .....H/T to wherever I read it some months past. I do remember it being a milbloggie site.

This author broke the Human Species into three basic types, using an Anthropomorphic analogy:

Sheep......Wolves.....Sheepdogs. (Read....not Wollf, this stuff frightens me...)

Most of the population are sheep, not in the denigrating sense of the word, but rather likened to their oblivious nature. They are perfectly harmless, and quite happy with their status quo lifestyle. They don't want to imagine, or can't imagine, evil happening to them or around them. They actually resent the Sheepdog.

Because to the Sheep, he is an annoying irritation, keeping them with the flock, nipping at their heels. They can't imagine the dangers that reside outside the safety of his watchful eye. Some of them have glimpsed the evil, and the Sheepdog, just by "being", reminds them of its' existence.

The wolf, in the real world and this analogy, preys on the sheep. No remorse, no pity, no ethics, no mercy. The only thing that stands in his way is the ever vigilant watchfulness of the Sheepdog. He will fight the wolf to the death to protect his flock.

Ok, got the analogy? My words, but someone else's imagination. Sheep equals "most everyone". Sheepdog= Our Military, Police, Intelligence Agency, et al. Wolves= the Bad Guys, Terrorists, Murderers, Rapists, Thieves......scum of all the degenerate subspecies......

The thing that popped , or "bounced" into my mind was a simple, but Wollf's convoluted philosophical abstraction, that there are times when the Sheepdog, although the avowed guardian, is not that distant in "active disposition" from his adversary.

They have to be alike in enough ways to recognize the threat to each others' reason for existence. The sheep doesn't watch out for the Wolf. He simply becomes dinner.

But the Wolf is always on the lookout for his adversary and vice versa. I don't doubt that you might well be scratching your head. (Sometimes I read what I've written and scratch as though I have fleas.....).

Final point and you can make fun of my logic and writing skills.......

Remember the old Warner Brothers cartoon where it always begins with the Sheepdog and the Wolf strolling in to work carrying their lunch pails, punching their time cards, and saying, "Morning, Sam......Morning, Fred..." to each other in passing?

That's what happens in real life once in a while. They're working for the same thing, but with different motive.

My question to you is, "What if a particular wolf's motives were in alignment with the Sheepdog?"

Depending on the motive, it could be a beautiful thing.

The sheep still wouldn't like either of us.

I'm going to have to edit this one a bit later.......

Thanks to M'Lady Linda.......she posted on this back in April when I still thought the world was a wonderful, shiny place. She quotes a Military Man and his original thought.

Her archived posting is HERE

Enjoy........
Wollf

4 comments:

Rose said...

Interesting scenario. It's like the veneer of civilization that keeps us in line. How quickly it can break down... but some will not break.

Foxfier said...

If you could reform that into a movie, it'd be a complex drama actually worth watching.

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

LOL......yes it might be an engaging drama.....if someone else did the screen play.Thanks, I'll consider that a fine compliment.

But what if Wollf did the writing?

I'm afraid the plot would slowly disintegrate into.......

"The Naked Wollf"
"Airwollf"
"Scary Wolfie Movie"
or ......"Blazing Wolfies"

But frankly my dear, I don't give a Howl.
I have Got to rethink my writing
Wollf

Rambling Rose said...

Checked out the post - it was excellent. Thanks for providing the link.