Moonrise

Thursday, February 7, 2008

B.U.D.S. Camp..........


I might not ought to tell you where this is.......in fact, I probably shouldn't. So, I won't.

There, that was a short post. Nah, I need to tell a story. From a Civilian Contractor's (CC),point of view. An interesting and unforgettable six months. Where doesn't really even matter to the story anyway.......

As you who have read for a while realise, there are countless "stories" inside my stories. I'll come back to this post one day and flesh them out individually and maybe be able to make the experience sound more ......interesting.

B.U.D.S.Camp. Basic Underwater Demolition School. It's an advanced class for the Elite of the Men who protect you and me. Exactly what it sounds like. Muffled BOOMS underwater.

It was a compelling.....hell, it was a Fun, experience for me to hang with the Tough Guys, Navy Seals and enjoy the decidedly different ambiance of "Island Life", Navy style. I was a CC, and did a few jobs in the mid nineties for the Feds, one of them being the implementation of a new off-shore Planning and Training Facility.

What a friggin' hoot. Six months,.... four days on, three off island. I was away from Family, but times were good. We were billeted two to a 12x12 modular. My bunkie decided to move out after three days......I may have asked him too, heh.... and I had the less than posh amenities to myself.

And Maida.....she was a fox....the real kind, with a fluffy tail, furry coat and a surprisingly gentle and snuggly disposition..... After coaxing her with bologna, (illegal to feed), a lot of patience, and a low gentle voice. Not a lot to do in off hours except drink with volatile personalities much younger than I at the Salty Crab, and bowling.

Not having a goodly portion of one of my digits, bowling was not a pleasant pastime. Drinking to excess with Seals, while being an ex Marine didn't sound safe for our Nation's Finest, so I decided to tame the Fox.

I think she tamed herself. No natural enemies on the island except the occassional Golden Eagle, it was pretty easy. She loved the scent and taste of my treats. (Rat only goes so far, you know). By the end of my Contract time, she would jump up and snugggle on my bed, eating Bologna or fresh fish, out of my hand.

Absolutely stunning creatures, the Island Fox. The fresh fish came from either fishing off one of the many promontories that sat above deep water, or simply waiting until 1530 hours on Friday for the scheduled underwater BOOMIES.

Trainees would be dropped a mile or so out in full battle gear, swim back to the main bay, blow shi-ite all to hell......the fish would be stunned.....and we would create the most delightful array of Fish-a-copia from the shores of the bay.

Deep water, Folkes......big BOOMIES.....Halibut, Mako, Yellowtail Tuna, Pencil Fish, Rock Cod......yummy. We'd buy beer at the BX and invite every one on the island. Wonderful times were had.....I enjoyed holding court with my Fox sleeping contentedly on my lap.It quite honestly made Wollf feel wholly like Wollf. Powerful, yet gentle enough, and loving enough to attract, almost mesmerize a beautiful creature like that Fox, Maida.

I was envied, and I was admired. By some of the most hardened and dangerous Men that G-d had ever created. It was an absolutely Spiritual time. I learned an outstanding amount about the inner workings of me. I will never forget.

I shall continue this adventure in the near future. A lot of never to be repeated experiences happened to me on that island....... Cruise missiles, hugging the wavetops and then the surface of the island, roaring just overhead, and then exploding on target a mile or so after whizzing past......

Pristine, never visited windward beaches, covered in abalone shells and thousands of new Nike tennis shoes from a cargo lost at sea. Unbelievable coral beds and deep fissures teeming with alien style life on the lee side......catching deep sea fish from the shore that dropped from the slim beach to a depth of a thousand feet within yards.......elephant seals mating rituals, Navy "zodiacs" at eighty miles per hour, exploding water spouts hundreds of feet in the air.......

The adventures of a lifetime, and all caught in a tiny six month period of time.

I'll share as the whim occurs....I want my Cubs to understand. I want to reminisce with you, my friends. I'm embarking on another Great adventure in 22 days. There will be stories to tell about that too.....

Goodnite.
Wollf

No comments: