Moonrise

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Carcharodon Megalodon

And now for something completely different. I was sorting through a box of my collected minerals and fossils and came upon one of my favorites, a Megalodon tooth that I dug up.....surreptitiously....on the dry lake bed of Edwards Air Force Base in SoCal.....no, you're not s'posed too....but I'm pretty sure the statute has run its course.

Megalodon....what the heck is that? This thing was the true monster of the seas. Estimates of her size have rambled from 50 to 80 feet long....although we'll probably never know, because fishy types don't make good fossils.

But....you can get a feel for what this giganto shark was like by looking at the little bits of eveidence we do have, like placing a modern day Great White into a reconstructed jaw of Megalodon.......


That was one Big, Bad Boy....here's a picture of one of the teeth I have, a pretty impressive artifact.....at least I like it....


That thing swimming around in the ocean would make me think twice about boating, let alone surfing......in fact, just for fun, let's ask some little fellahs whose ancestors were around while Megalodon was cruising....see if their "genetic memory" is working.....

Hey guys......"MEGALODON!!!"


Didn't seem to enjoy that.
Now I feel bad for scaring the little rodents.
No I don't.
Heh
Wollf

3 comments:

Foxfier said...

Hehe.

cry_alone said...

cooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

filmoyster said...

Hello - Where did you take the photo of the great white inside the Megalodon jaw? It's awesome!