Moonrise

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Killing Americans - Mexico's New Sport?

My Darlin' Wife, Dragn, mentioned to me that she was interested in joining the Church on a Help the Needy trip to Mexico this Spring.

Guess what I said...... and I very Rarely say it to her about what She wants to do.....


Missionary shot dead for no apparent reason New York Times -- February 6

Members of a rival cartel? Hardly.

Killing of Missionary Rattles Texas Borders

Pharr, Texas -- Mexico has always had a reputation here as a place where things can go wrong in a hurry.

But the fatal shooting of a Texas missionary across the border late last month has reinforced the widely held belief in this region that the country has become a lawless war zone.

The missionary, Nancy Davis, who had worked in Mexico for decades, was shot in the back of the head by gunmen in a pickup truck who had pursued her and her husband for miles in Tamaulipas State.

Her husband, Samuel Davis, piloted his bullet-ridden truck across the two-mile international bridge here, driving pell-mell against traffic on the wrong side of the bridge to evade the pursuers and reach an American hospital. He arrived on the United States side too late to save Ms. Davis, 59.

State Department officials say that 79 American citizens were murdered in Mexico in 2009, and that at least 60 were killed last year from January to November, though an official annual figure has yet to be compiled.

The numbers have been rising since 2007, when 38 American citizens were murdered in Mexico, State Department records show. [...]

The Pharr police chief, Ruben Villescos, said the motive for the attack remained a mystery. He said the men in the three trucks followed Mr. Davis for miles and boxed in his pickup to force him off the road. Several shots were fired, and Ms. Davis was hit in the back of the head.

I have been more than knee deep in the shi-ite in my life. I won't go to Mexico as a civilian. Sorry Darlin', but I hope you see my point. Having you alive is much more important to me than building a shed for somebody I don't know.

Any bodies have thoughts? Hey, maybe I'm out of line here......
Oh, what I said?

"No.".
Wollf

4 comments:

Foxfier said...

My cousin-- a very large, strong lady, but a lady none the less-- was on a fire fighting team down near the border a year or two back.

They had armed guards with them everywhere they went, and she wasn't allowed to go ANYWHERE without at least two of the guys. Nobody even went around the camp without at least one other fire fighter.

The guys he'd replaced had been fired at, and equipment was sabotaged or destroyed.

It's sad, it sucks, but going down there as an American, especially helping people, is asking to be kidnapped and murdered. Probably AFTER they get a ransom for you, too.

Even my Crazy Uncle won't go down there, and he's never wanted his daughter or any female member of the family to head down there.

Unknown said...

Why bother going to Mexico? Most of them are living here in the US illegally anyway.....

ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

It's been many years since I lived in Mexico, mostly in Baja Sur aboard my sail boat and also drove the entire length of the peninsula from Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas but I would NOT visit mainland Mexico today nor would I advise a gringo to do so under ANY circumstances! The owners of our local Mexican restaurant here are from Monterrey and will not return to visit their family there. Wait until this insane "drug war" is over!

aA said...

I am with the above commentors and you, Wollf. There are people in your local community that can be helped as if on a "mission trip".

Too dangerous down there, too lawless, and if you bring your own protection in the form of a firearm, there a repercussions for that, too.

You are right. I hate to say it, but going there is a bad idea.