Moonrise

Sunday, December 30, 2007

MEDIC! Medic!........medic? Hello?.......

I am sans Cubs until later this afternoon at best. I am also sans mobility, which is truly less than acceptable.

Wollf didn't emerge from the Lair until about 6:30 this morning. The Cubs and high emotion worked their skills on my exhaustion index, I suppose. An absolutely gorgeous morning greeted me.....the fog had rolled in, it was brisk but not cold, and I decided to go for a run-hike down in the canyons......

About two miles into it, I'd worked up a light sweat, walking a bit more than running, cutting across country, enjoying the serenity of the foggy mountain landscape, I vaulted a little stream cut into the side of the hill. Nothing much, about a four foot jump across a three foot deep cut to the burbling water.

The side of the bank gave way as I landed, hyper extending my knee. I twisted during the fall to the water and rocks, and "softened" the landing by striking the ground with my left palm first.

Should have just crashed on my side, but I've got this "thing" about hitting my head.
Dislocated my shoulder. There lies Wollf, in about six inches stream water, a bit stunned by the oh so eloquent pain in my knee and shoulder, and all I could do was laugh.............

Rolling over and getting to a standing position was a bitch. The shoulder wouldn't support me, and the knee was complaining loudly that I had abused our friendship.
I eventually got to a standing position, reset my shoulder, and sat back down to survey the damage and my alternatives.

I was soaked to the skin, it's 58 degrees, I'm two miles from the road, my shoulder seems to be holding in place, and my knee is screaming that it is never going to forgive me. The alternatives open to me were fairly obvious.

Walk.

Or, rather, Limp out. The twenty minutes in country became an hour retreat.

At least I had my house keys with me....I could not have borne getting the spares from the frisky married woman next door, not again. I called my Orthopaedist Friend and invited myself to coffee. My initial diagnosis was validated.

She checked the shoulder to make sure I'd reset it properly, (I had), and then gave me a brace for the knee, told me to ice it, keep it elevated, ya da ya dah....and to come in and see her on Wednesday for a work up.

So, here I am. I'm quite sore, took a couple aspirin, wrapped the knee against Doc's advice, and as soon as I'm done writing, I'm going down the hill shopping. For a cane.

The Cubs will friggin love it. They're both big "House" fans, a tv show on Monday nights about an irascible, acerbic Doctor with a limp, a cane, and a genuinely big heart buried deep beneath his garbage. They, and a number of Folke here in the real world see a lot of resemblance, both physical and mental between Wollf and this House character.

They will Love the cane. Guess I'll have to break out one of my casual blazers to really freak them out. I don't see any resemblance at all, do you?



Ok, maybe a bit, but I have Amerind Brown eyes.

In a strange Wolfie way, I really enjoyed the trip back. Minor Physical pain doesn't bother me, so much as it invigorates me. It cleared my head and allowed me to think.

Just because there's a risk of injury, will Wollf stop doing the things that make him feel good? It's called Risk vs. Benefit, I think. If something seems as though it might be absolutely wonderful, should we shy away from it because it might hurt us?

Not in my world. Not any more. I've hurt my body before many times. It has healed. I don't remember the pain.(well except this particular one)....I remember the Adventures.

I suppose it's the same with matters of the heart? Imagine the Adventures to come. Count me as all in. I'm about healed from my last mishap.

I gotta go pick out a cane.
I'm better looking than that darn House guy. What's he got that Wollf doesn't, besides a few milion dollars, blue eyes, fame,......oh never mind.

Talk later,
Wollf

6 comments:

Linda Sue O'Grady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda Sue O'Grady said...

Be sure to take the doctor's advice Wollf. Ice ice and more ice and elevate!

Sigh. I'm afraid you're right, nothing ventured, nothing gained, even in matters of the heart.

I guess I should confess that I'm still a scaredy cat.

Anonymous said...

Brown eyes are warmer then blue ones anyway.
Maybe stick your cell phone in your pocket next time - taking risks is OK, but you can take a few precautions too... even in matters of the heart.
So.. have you sent out a call for a private nurse yet?

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

Mrs. Wink,
Phone, pocket....good idea, smarty pants.

A private nurse? I think I saw a movie about that once.....

No I didn't.
LindaSog,

It seems that you're not gambling if the stake is "love"?
Wollf

Anonymous said...

You are so right -- nothing ventured, nothing gained. It is all about remembering the good and not lingering on the bad. So much of life is missed by carrying a grudge or waiting for someone else to make the first move.

Ice, Ice, Ice -- do what the doctor says. I'm sure the cubs can give you lots of advise.

Let us know if you need anything.

K T Cat said...

Wollf, I'm sorry I didn't read this post until now. So sorry to hear about the injury. The cane, however, can be great fun. After all, it's hard to administer a caning to a disobedient child if you don't have a cane!

:-)

Get better soon!